I remember where I was. And so do you.
I was working at Com Dev at my co-op work term when the towers were hit. The sad thing? I don't really care anymore. Flashbulb memories they're called: traumatic or emotional events in one's life can solidify memories that normally wouldn't have formed so concretely. People tend to remember exactly where they were, what they were doing or what they had for lunch on the day a certain catastrophic event, natural disaster, assassination, or death had taken place. I think really it causes people to put a lot of importance on things when really they shouldn't. Just because you can accurately remember something more forcefully and readily than something else doesn't mean it should be regarded with the highest importance. Don't get me wrong, a lot of people senselessly lost their lives and it was a tragedy, but it's to the point where no one can make a speech to the public or do anything without saying "a big ups to the New York Fire Department" or "Let's take this time to remember the people who lost their lives on September Eleventh". Now that date will be etched into everyone's mind for the rest of their lives. You can't say or hear the words September Eleventh anymore without thinking that it's not just a date but some catastrophic event. Which it was. Still, you won't see me buying a I heart NY t-shirt or a NYFD (or whatever it is) blue hat. I couldn't even watch tennis today, the men's US Open Championship, without the commentators mentioning the September Eleventh bombings in a morose tone. I'm surprised Roger Federer didn't dedicate his win to the victims who lost their lives on that tragic day. Enough is enough. Can't wait for the "Freedom Tower" to be built. Fucking americans. No wonder they got bombed by terrorists. I only wish they did enough damage to actually take down the economy and the United States as a world superpower. It'd be kinda cool if Japan ran things for a while I think.

Comments

S devil said…
Have you even re-read this post since you wrote this in 2005? It's kinda weird....like you predicted the fall of the economy or something?

Popular Posts