Only Revolutions I

Go with your gut.

At least that's what I try to do, especially when I play poker. I play a lot of poker. I sit down at ring games with my chip stack, have a look around the table, feel things out. I already have a feeling of who the amateurs are as the cards are dealt around the table; almost everyone looks at their cards even before it's their turn to act -- I don't even touch mine, I'm still observing, watching, analysing. The action comes around to me and I finally look at my cards, 78 suited. I raise 3 times the big blind and mostly everyone folds except one kid. By this time I've seen enough of the table, used enough of my instincts to get an idea of what everyone is about in only one hand. I'm betting the kid has king high with a weak kicker. Flop comes up 6K9. I won't go into the details of the rest of the hand but let's just say I took him for all his money.

I went with my gut.

I read him like a fucking book. But that's what you're trying to do, right? Read a fucking book. So what do you do? Do you take the red pill or the blue pill? Do you start with the green cover or the yellow cover? What's the right decision? Sometimes there is information you can glean from situations beforehand, such as in a poker games, that can make it easier for you to 'go with your gut' and allow you to take calculated risks, but what if you're going into a situation completely blind ?

Then what do you do? No previous information no idea where to start nowhere to go no one to ask what should you do what should you do getting dizzy and confused and spiralling and swirling with ideas in your head of green vs yellow green vs yelllow or should you read on the internet and ask someone to just TELL you the right answer but IS it right or wrong or will it spoil the book and oh no you can't do that you want to read the book with a fresh open mind what do you do what do you do what do you do what do you do??

Go with your gut.

Comments

S devil said…
I can feel out a table too! I enjoy playing poker and figuring out, analyzing....somehow I see in my head all the options of what that player may have! I am constantly being told I over-think everything. Is over-thinking always a bad thing? Why do people have to judge? It seems to be part of who I am. It seems to work brilliantly in poker! I can say it has helped me think of ways to solve problems in my life....first I get as much information as possible from many sources....than somehow in my brain I can figure out the risks of making that choice. Is that wrong? To some people it is....they try to figure out why I can't just make a "simple" decision....but maybe its because my brain isn't meant to think like everyone else :/

Popular Posts